POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : slope-dependent pattern : Re: slope-dependent pattern Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slope-dependent pattern
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Jan 2001 18:10:17
Message: <3A565458.62638751@gmx.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> Are you thinking of something for the gradient of a pattern? A pattern
> that would return higher values in areas that change rapidly, but
> approach 0 in "flat" areas?

That's exactly what i meant.

> The displace warp can do something similar,
> the code could probably be modified to do this pattern(maybe a more
> general pattern that calculates the "amount of warping" for any warp).

I think that would suffice, since a warp does not only specify the amount
but also the direction, this could be even more universal.

> Actually, you could probably do it with an isosurface function...I don't
> know how useful it would be in isosurfaces, though.

Not sure whow you mean that, the purpose i was thinking of was for example
controlling the fine structure of an isosurface landscape depending on the
slope of it's large scale shape.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>